Skip to main content

Ramen Reviews :: Maru-chan Miso Ramen




Now for a food that I ate last night, 東洋水産 - マルちゃん正麺 味噌味 (More simply, Maru-chan's Miso Ramen).

A bit of a background, there are several type of ramen but typically you'll find your ramen falls into one of four broth categories. Salt, Shoyu (soy), Miso or Tonkotsu (pork). This particular one was a miso broth base.

The entire thing is 108 grams. A single package is 365 calories, 67.1g of carbohydrates, 6.4g of fat, 9.7g of protein and 2,300mg of sodium. A lot of sodium but that's honestly to be expected with instant noodles. You don't go for ramen without knowing the massive sodium content you're getting yourself into.

That being said, I did not consume the entire package of ramen. As I typically do, I cut the block of noodles in half. I cooked a single half and added in lots of veggies and a hard boiled egg. I also weighed out half of the broth. The broth for this particular one is not one you add to the noodles. What you do is cook the noodles, put the broth base in the bowl and then add some of the liquid from the cooked noodles when you put them in your bowl. This is great because it keeps the rest of my noodles from getting soggy.

Looks like a smiley face


The noodles were thicker. I prefer a thinner noodle so I didn't really enjoy them. The broth was salty but overall pretty good. I like tonkotsu ramen broth the best so far but miso is still pretty darn tasty. I added carrots, oyster mushrooms, bean sprouts and cabbage along with my egg. It came out to a pretty well rounded dish I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ramen Reviews :: Maru-Chan Shoyu Ramen

Another look at some Maru-Chan ramen. This time the Shoyu (soy sauce) flavour. I enjoy shoyu ramen because it's got a less oily texture in comparison to tonkatsu ramen. This was no exception to that rule. It was definitely less oily than the previous ramens. It had a nice soy flavour to it. The noodles were thicker and I enjoyed their firm texture. They had a nice chewiness to them. I dolled up my bowl of ramen with a hardboiled egg, boy choi, carrots and bean sprouts. I split the noodles and broth in half to make two meals from it as I typically do. One package is a bit lower in calories than the previous ones. A package is 340 calories, 66g of carbohydrates, 4g of fat, 10g of protein and 2,300 mg of sodium. Instant ramen is always going to be high in sodium which is why it's important to be mindful and not eat it frequently. Also to dress it up with as many veggies and good things as you can!!

Ramen Review :: Nisshin King Tantanmen Ramen

Another ramen review! This time some Tantanmen ramen. Tantanmen is a noodle dish that originated in China as dandan noodles. It's supposed to be very spicy but that isn't typically part of Japanese cuisine so Japanese versions of this dish tend to be vastly less spicy than the Chinese original. The texture of these noodles was much like my first review of the tonkatsu ramen, thinner and less chewy. I liked them a lot. They were a nice noodle. The sauce packets were a powder and also an oil packet. The oil packet was supposed to be spicy...it wasn't spicy. I like spicy food a lot. I enjoy a lot of Korean foods that are spicy, including Korean fire noodles. So I was hoping this tantanmen ramen would be spicy but it was just...a hint of spice. Just a hint. The tiniest of hints. I was disappointed with that. The powder packet had little bits of meat in it which left the broth feeling a little chunky. It was nice but still oily. I padded out the recipe with some ba...

Limited Edition Snack Spotlight: Takenoko no Sato

Limited Edition Flavour Here we have the first snack spotlight. I bought this a couple of months ago and I've already eaten them but I took a photo for the sake of remembering. This special, limited edition flavour, is Honey Butter. Takenoko no Sato are a chocolate and biscuit snack made by meiji. Typically they look like the below image. A chocolate that's slightly darker than milk chocolate and an airy biscuit. They're very addictive to snack on. Original flavour Unfortunately I no longer have the box so I can't include any more nutritional information and how much was inside the box. So we'll move on to the special edition description. Honey butter was a very, very popular flavour of chip/crisp in South Korea while I lived there. Korea preferred more sweet chips that I was used to back in Canada. However, it had never crossed my mind to have Honey Butter as a chocolate flavour. I was very, very hesitant about these but I knew I had to give them a tr...